Friday, September 18, 2009

People We Overlook...

So last night while I was at work, I met an amazing man. No, I am not leaving or thinking about cheating on my husband. I have a customer that comes in quite frequently, and is always polite, but not overly talkative. Well, my trainee recognized him as his High School janitor. Well, through a series of comments on all our parts, he tells us a little about his life. From running away, taking his friends identity to be eligable to join the Marines 50+ years ago to try and change his life. (no joke, he paid someone $35 bucks to change the picture on the license...) He also told us of how he was a POW in Korea for 9 months. And the conditions (without going into details for my sake.) of how things were. And then Finally how the Turks came in, killed all the captors without a single shot, and saved them.

It really made me think about the people in your life. Going around, having this huge story, and you not knowing a single part of it. I can't even really put into words how talking to this man made me feel. All I can say, is you never know. Treat everyone with the respect that you wish you had for everything that you have gone through. Peace.